A 20-year vision and strategic directions
Some publications on this page may have been published under a previous government.
During 2013, the Queensland Government worked with tourism operators and industry representatives to develop a shared long-term vision for Queensland tourism.
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) megatrends research conducted to inform industry engagement identified big changes ahead for the Queensland tourism industry. The 20 year plan was developed to ensure strategies are in place to optimise opportunities and address key challenges.
The vision for Queensland Tourism represents all the facets of the industry. It is set out as a set of overarching statements underpinned by six themes. Under each theme are each three to four strategic directions identified by industry as the most important things we need to change or build on to achieve our preferred future.
To create a successful and competitive Queensland tourism industry where:
- Our diverse iconic experiences will be the foundation of our destinations, and our destinations will be the foundation of our tourism success.
- Our destinations will showcase the best of Queensland—our people and lifestyle, our culture and heritage, our natural wonders and climate, and our communities.
- The tourism industry will be strong and prosperous, fully engaged with governments and the community, and universally recognised as fundamental to Queensland's economic, environmental and social future.
This involves directing effort across six key themes:
- build strong partnerships
- preserve our nature and culture
- deliver quality, great service and innovation
- target a balanced portfolio of markets
- offer iconic experiences
- grow investment and access
To be successful over the long term, industry prioritised the following directions as the most important things we need to change or build on to achieve our goals across the six themes.
|Build strong partnerships|
|Preserve our nature and culture|
|Deliver quality, great service and innovation|
|Target a balanced portfolio of markets|
|Offer iconic experiences|
|Grow investment and access|
Destination Success is a long-term plan is supported by short-term action plans. Advancing Queensland Tourism will be the focus going forward, details of which will be released late 2016.
Download the 2014-15 plan
- Destination Success: Part 1 (PDF, 513.5KB)
- Destination Success: Part 2 (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Destination Success: Part 3 (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Destination Success: Part 4 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 5 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 6 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 7 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 8 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 9 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Destination Success: Part 10 (PDF, 891.8KB)
Download the Destination Success Snapshot (PDF, 1.1MB), which is a summarised version of the entire plan.
Share your action
The Queensland Government continues to work in partnershipwith the tourism industry to deliver on this shared vision for Queensland'stourism future.
Join in and show your support to invest, excel and growtourism in Queensland! Share an action that you commit to delivering and contributeto this shared vision to grow tourism in Queensland.
Make sure you jump onto the DestinationQ Facebook page to view other actions and commitments and find out about Queensland's tourism industry.