Mackay is a lush tropical region that stretches from Midge Point in the north, St Lawrence in the south, to Clermont in the south-west, to Mackay city and the Cumberland Island group in the east.
The region recorded a spike in domestic and international visitors in the 2016-17 period. In fact, a record breaking number of overnight domestic visitors were recorded for the year ending March 2017, with a 7% increase to 878,000 visitors for the whole region and a 29% increase in holiday visitors for Mackay City. This growth has come on the back of a 13.6% increase in international visitor numbers for year ending March 2017.
Mackay Tourism Ltd is the regional tourism organisation and reported the following highlights and initiatives for 2016-17:
- The development of the Strategy and Business Plan has contributed to the future planning and development of tourism in the Mackay Region. The plan has been endorsed by key stakeholders of Mackay Tourism Ltd.
- The Cape Hillsborough Experience Project - joint project between Mackay Tourism Ltd, Tourism and Events Queensland, Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services, Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal and Rio Tinto Hail Creek Mine - aims to shift the emphasis from a short-term photo opportunity to a multi-day experience for visitors to properly discover the region. Teaming up with a dozen tourism operators from across the Cape Hillsborough and Hibiscus Coast precinct, the program has been running since early 2017 to influence greater collaboration between business, plan for future growth and encourage increased length of stay and dispersal across the region.
- Mackay Tourism Ltd has developed Tourism Advisory Groups to achieve better collaboration and communication among the local tourism industry. Operators, businesses and government bodies are now working more cohesively to achieve common goals. Tourism operators also benefited from Tourism and Events Queensland workshops including the ‘Conversations with Industry Forum’ and ‘Story Telling Workshops’ throughout 2016-17.
The Mackay region’s Hero Experiences have been developed to deliver the region’s long-term tourism vision and brand promise. The Hero Experience themes are:
- Explore hidden treasures
- Understand why the locals live here
- Business, leisure and sport events that celebrate the region
Visit the TEQ website for more information on Mackay.