The Townsville North Queensland region is home to the Great Barrier Reef, tropical islands, World Heritage listed Wet Tropics, Australian Outback and indigenous experiences - all within an hour and a half drive of its urban centre.
The region stretches from the Great Barrier Reef Islands of Hinchinbrook, Orpheus, Palm and Magnetic Islands, and is bordered by Charters Towers in the west, Hinchinbrook to the north, Burdekin to the south and Paluma National Park in the north-west.
Total domestic visitor numbers to the Townsville North Queensland region was 1.115 million in the year ending March 2017. Domestic business travel to Townsville was stable, with 1.0% growth to 338 000 visitors, while intrastate business trips grew 10.6% to 304 000. International visitors increased 6.1%, with 130,000 visitors to the region.
Townsville Enterprise Ltd. (TEL), the region's economic development body and regional tourism organisation and Convention Bureau for Townsville North Queensland, reported the following highlights for 2015-16:
- New Events Hub: TEL, in partnership with Tourism and Events Queensland and the local events industry, established the first Townsville North Queensland Events Hub – a facility to support events, grow event visitation and economic benefit. To date the Events Hub has supported the launch of three new local events in Townsville.
- Events Bid Fund Successes: The Townsville North Queensland Events Bid Fund is a collaborative pool of funding to support the attraction of new events into the region, managed by Townsville Enterprise Ltd and supported by a range of industry partners. During the 2015/2016 Financial Year the Bid Fund secured more than 72 000 room nights and $18.2 million in economic value.
- North Queensland Stadium: Following a significant advocacy campaign Townsville North Queensland has secured funding for the North Queensland Stadium. This is a game changing project which will redefine the city of Townsville and the Ross Creek waterfront priority development area. Funding for the project has been secured through all levels of government, with the North Queensland Cowboys also committing $10 million.
The Townsville region's Hero Experiences were developed to deliver the region's long-term tourism vision and brand promise. The Hero Experience themes are:
- Great Barrier Reef Centre of Excellence
- Special Places in Nature
- Eventful life in the Tropics
- History and Heritage
Visit the TEQ website for more information on Townsville North Queensland.