The Whitsundays is home to Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Daydream Island and Long Island, among others.
The region stretches from Proserpine in the south to Bowen in the north; west from Collinsville and east to Airlie Beach and the Whitsunday islands, an archipelago of green islands and sandy atolls surrounded by tropical blue waters.
The Whitsundays saw a 10.5% increase in international visitation in the year ending March 2017 to 243,000 visitors and recorded growth from four of its top five international source markets, the United Kingdom, Germany, China and Scandinavia.
Domestic visitor nights and expenditure also grew strongly in this same period, up 10.3% and 8.6% respectively. In the 12 months to March 2017, the Whitsundays welcomed 720,000 domestic and international visitors in total.
Tourism Whitsundays is the region’s tourism organisation and destination marketing agency and reported the following key highlights for 2016-17:
- The Whitsundays tourism industry is thriving, due to collaboration within the industry.
- There has been substantial international tourism investment in the region as well as increased visitor expenditure and visitor numbers.
- International and domestic visitation figures for the Whitsundays are the highest in years.
Tourism Whitsundays is focused on:
- Increasing visitation both domestically and internationally through targeted marketing campaigns and PR activity in key source markets.
- Generating increased length of stay by providing authentic, Whitsundays’ experiences that visitors are going to want to do.
- Driving visitor spend in region by ensuring excellent products and product delivery so visitors are encouraged to spend their hard-earned dollars in the Whitsundays.
- Delivering return on investment for all stakeholders, including its member organisations, and creating enduring commercial success for all tourism operators.
- Adhering to Best Practice and maintaining professional standards both within its own organisation and within the Whitsundays tourism industry.
- Ensuring the environment everyone treasures and the region’s unique natural landscapes are maintained.
The Whitsundays’ Hero Experiences have been developed to deliver the region’s long-term tourism vision and brand promise. The Hero Experience themes are:
- Diverse island paradise in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef
- Iconic landscapes including world famous Whitehaven Beach
- Only place to see Heart Reef, a natural coral formation in the shape of a heart
- Sailing, flying, snorkelling and diving
- Cosmopolitan Airlie Beach and mainland including the beautiful beaches of Bowen in the north
- Diverse hinterland offering rainforest and waterfalls and characterful country towns including Proserpine and Collinsville
Visit the TEQ website for more information on the Whitsundays.